This week in my garden/allotment I ......

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
fabindia
Legendary Laner

This week in my garden/allotment I ......

Post by fabindia »

Perhaps a little less formal than the diary section, it might be fun and interesting to post a few words about what's going on in your garden at the moment. And, it might well be of help to the more novice gardeners like myself. Let's see how it goes and if people like it, I'll start another one next week :-D
I'll start off:

This week in my garden I ....... have done a bit of weeding, especially round the onion sets and leeks (which are still incredibly small!). Kept an eye on my peas, where necessary looping them round the netting to encourage them to grow up rather than over the ground. We harvested a little salad stuff and planted out a bit more - I plant rows of just about 18 inches of mixed salad leaves and raddishes each week over the summer months to provide a continuous supply. Kept an eye on my stawberries and raspberries but not a lot to harvest yet (we live near Newcastle so things are little further behind than the midlands where my parent live). Spinach and Kale doing great at the minute, we have already made spinach paneer (with home made paneer - dead easy to make) and used the Kale in a sort of Kale stew.

My tomato plants are in flower but no tomatoes yet so it is just a case of watering and feeding.

Also, I have turned over my compost heap a few times to let a little more air in and it is starting to look good.
Michael
madmum
Legendary Laner

Re: This week in my garden/allotment I ......

Post by madmum »

Ok so not in my garden :oops: How do you make paneer,is it like making curd cheese? In my garden i tried to sort out my raised bed which has;sweetcorn,dwarf beans,borlotti beans,corgettes,peas and potatos in.Note to self; dont grow potatos in it again they are taking over and there were only three left over from the sacks!!Every thing is doing well,my sweetcorn is nearly 18"high,my peas are flowering well,beans are growing up the sweetcorn as they should,corgettes are trying to make it out from the potatos,as are the borlotti beans {cry} Quick question,when my spuds in the bed are harvested can i plant my aubergines there instead cos they are in pots at the moment and will soon need more space?
If you always do what you always do ,you will always get what you have always got!
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

madmum wrote:Quick question,when my spuds in the bed are harvested can i plant my aubergines there instead cos they are in pots at the moment and will soon need more space?

Ideally - no. That's because both potatoes and aubergines are of the same genus Solanum (if you look at the flowers of potatoes, aubergines and tomatoes, bittersweet deadly nightshade) they all have the same trumpet shape) However, if it comes down to desparate times, a one off shouldn't make that much difference providing the potatoes you lift up are healthy and do also enrich the soil.
madmum
Legendary Laner

Post by madmum »

Thanks!I do remember there was some reason why but couldnt remember what it was )t' Looks like bigger pots for me then )j;
If you always do what you always do ,you will always get what you have always got!