Five Miles Less

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
saint-spoon

Five Miles Less

Post by saint-spoon »

There is a government advert out urging us to ‘make a difference’ by driving five miles less. Will it makes a difference in the big scheme of things I wonder? We have put 18,000 miles on our car in six years and now average about 20 miles a month. It’d be hard to knock that down to be honest. I have to hit the motorway every couple of months just to blow through the engine or else it clogs up.
Bah Humbug
manda

Re: Five Miles Less

Post by manda »

Perhaps all the governments could do their bit and rather than having these get aways to conferences costing the tax-payer a fortune they could have video conferences....OK an initial outlay to set it up but then think of the money saved in the long term and carbon savings they wold make.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
AL37
Admin Moderator

Post by AL37 »

SS, I dont think the advert is realy aimed at the likes of yourself. Some people can get upto 18000 miles in a year. In my last job I put almost 50000 miles on the company car in three years :shock: But then to be honest I was one of the lower milage employees.
I like to think that the fact I have planted a ten tree orchard on my plot at least goes some of the way to lower my foot print :oops:
[center]Relax, I could have been a twin.[/center]
wendy

Post by wendy »

I have only 9,000 miles on my Mondeo in 18 months.
Spencer has 20,000 in his 6 year old BMW. But he does have a little run around, a Corsa. It is that, that he puts the miles on with his work.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Bollybarb
Legendary Laner

Post by Bollybarb »

I think the idea is great but most DTL 'ers will already be thinking along the same lines.
Things suggested are if you have some messages to do group them together. if you can walk, walk..... not rocket science but it might change a couple of peples behavoiuor.
I have chickens Blaze, Star and Comet, who have met Sunny Clucker in Cheshire :-)
I'm training to be a midwife!!!!!
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I cut down my mileage when I can, use the bus on some journeys, my insurance covers me up to 8,000 miles per year and I am always within that.

BUT, my car is my pleasure, I pay for it, and if I want to have a day out and drive to a nice place to visit, I jolly well shall, so there! 8)

Ilona
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

I don't think we could manage this one - we bought our main car new in May 2005, and it has done nearly 140,000 miles in just over 4 years :shock: Hubs has done 750 miles this week already and we are off to Llandudno this afternoon. Other than today all the driving has been for work. The only way he could do 5 miles less would be to park 5 miles away from home and walk the rest of the way :?

Having said that, we always used to drive to the village if we needed anything and now we more often walk there and back. I'm not sure how much difference this would make in the grand scheme of things. When you see the muck and stuff that the factories in the far East churn out compared to what the UK does I think we are a very tiny drop in the ocean.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

Over 7 years ago I made a list of criteria of what I wanted to see in a house when I moved (I'd made the decision but just didn't know where to) On that list was "closer to work to cut down on travelling". It probably worked out at about 3 miles a day less but more importantly it took me 15 minutes instead of 35 minutes to get to work. 3 years later I was made redundant and my new job is even further away than ever so have to travel an extra 12 miles round trip a day now )ang

I would say my car is used mainly for commuting as the bus services (note: plural) are rubbish and more expensive. Only about 2% of the mileage is down to "pleasure" so I'm with Ilona - if I want to go out on a whim, I jolly well will ((w
Stig
Lively Laner

Post by Stig »

My car is a gas guzzler - I like big engines, a guilty pleasure! I try to keep my mileage low but my job includes some unavoidable travelling.

I could walk more, for shopping or with the dog (I like to take her to the woods in winter rather than the beach, so that's a car journey). I'm toying with getting groceries delivered from Tesco. Costs a fiver more but I get an hour or two of my life back, as well as fewer miles in the car.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Stig wrote:My I'm toying with getting groceries delivered from Tesco. Costs a fiver more but I get an hour or two of my life back, as well as fewer miles in the car.

It only saves miles if they can group their deliveries, otherwise it's a van instead of a car driving.

Im nearly 10 miles from the nearest big supermarket (nearly 2 from the local Co-op), so I shop on the way home from things.

I have a split personality. I won't use the car for shopping etc. I'll go without rather than drive for just one or two things. But I drive 30 - 60 mile round trips for dancing and music. I do offer lifts where possible.

I've not seen the advert, but it sounds a good idea to get people thinking about small ways of changing rather than confronting them with something that they can't do.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Sara

Post by Sara »

We dont use the car every day. We are extremly lucky that everything is on our doorstep so the car only comes out for a day trip or for our england trips. We do about 10,000 KM per year..... If i want to go shopping further afield then I go with a good friend and we only take one car.... I think some mileage is unavoidable and its a personal choice, Also sometimes circomstances can change, One day we may find ourselfs living in the middle of nowhere ( my dream ) and have to use the car to go everywhere.
I will look out for the ad )t'
(f+ (f+ (f+
[center]Happy to have shown Titchy Clucker a little corner of France[/center]

Sara XxX
GrahamNR17
Lively Laner

Post by GrahamNR17 »

Since I got the bike out, I've reduced my car mileage from 8 miles a day to zero. Do I get a prize from the government for exceeding their 5 mile a week saving? :-D
They said "Smile, things could be worse."
So I smiled.................and things got worse.
Dinchy
Legendary Laner

Post by Dinchy »

I am guilty of using the car most days. I would happily use public transport, as we have a frequent bus service through the village, however it is rediculously expensive. If they want us to stop using our cars then the alternatives should be attractive and affordable!
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

Dinchy wrote:I am guilty of using the car most days. I would happily use public transport, as we have a frequent bus service through the village, however it is rediculously expensive. If they want us to stop using our cars then the alternatives should be attractive and affordable!

I can’t agree with you more, public transport in this country is a joke and so overpriced that it’s not really an option for the everyday user.
Bah Humbug
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

It's why all Governments love spending money building roads and not on Public Transport !!
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome