Welding

Share projects, share problems, share tips amongst each other.
Trev62
Legendary Laner

Welding

Post by Trev62 »

So finally today I got my welding machine out to tackle my first project. I was a bit concerned when the instruction manual for the safety helmet was more detailed and informative than the single sheet of paper that came with the welding machine }hairout{ work that one out >coc<

A quick viewing on the internet and everything was set up to go. Several practice welds gave me some wonderful pieces of metal joined together in weird shapes but I was quite impressed as they welds did not snap apart when the joins were put under my stress test (yes, I whacked them with a hammer :-D ) so onto the project, building some frames to grow the Tay/Logan berries up.

Abject failure, not due to the welding but my very, very bad design idea.

Still, the bonus is, I can get two pieces of metal to stay together by use of welder and rod without burning or blinding myself. That has to be classed as a success and the frames I made will be utilized via wood supports to do the task they were designed for but I will have to think a little differently when planning my next metalwork/welding project.

You live and learn )t'
"Not all those who wander are lost"
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Re: Welding

Post by lancashire lass »

Trev62 wrote: 08 May 2024, 21:05 Still, the bonus is, I can get two pieces of metal to stay together by use of welder and rod without burning or blinding myself.
)t' call this a practice run (or a new career in metal sculpture!) Well done for trying (I have my limitations of what I will have a go at - I love my drills, jigsaw, sanders, steamers and so on, but anything that has the potential to go catastrophically wrong are a big no, including things with rotating blades and grinders. I'd say welding comes under that same category)
Trev62
Legendary Laner

Re: Welding

Post by Trev62 »

I think there will be many "metal sculptures" scattered about, probably all called "Bodge job' and given a serial number..." :-D

However.... my first metal and wood structure is up in the garden with the Logan berries growing through it, second part goes in tomorrow after today's rain has passed.

Question is, will it hold up all season and support the Logan and Tayberries along with the black strawberries. Time will tell >fi<
"Not all those who wander are lost"