Wiffy Chickens

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Wiffy Chickens

Post by Freeranger »

Hi all,
Stupid newbie question coming up....I collected 12 ex-bats yesterday who were taken from a filthy factory farm, and have been living for about a month at a rescue centre. They are quite 'ripe' and the feathers they have are quite oily. Frankly, they pong, and after a day in their company I was also slightly asthmatic - if this is residual guano it's probably not doing their skin a lot of good either. Would dust-bathing and the elements be enough to sort them out, or should I dunk them in something fragrant too? Am reluctant because I don't want to disturb their natural oils. Can anyone advise, please? They are also pretty scrawny, so can anyone advise on how best to build them up a bit? Like everyone else, we loved just spending time watching them being chickens, and were humbled by how quickly they got the hang of it and how little they seem to hold it against us as a species. Am currently determined not to be as easily manipulated as some of you, but it's already too late for my other half!! Thanks for any advice.

Willow
Legendary Laner

Re: Wiffy Chickens

Post by Willow »

Hi Freeranger & first of all well done you for giving the batties a home!!

They do pong - but with a good amount of space and fresh straw and fresh air they'll soon smell sweet )t'

What set up have you got there?

As for bathing them, personally I wouldn't, they've been through enough and moving them to a new home is quite stressfull enough.
They will be eating for britain at the moment anyway, you could supplement their diet with maggots or dried meal worms, but remember they've been used to a diet of mash or pellets, so add new food in moderation or you could upset their digestive systems..
If you have the space you could dump a bag of dry plant compost or fine sand in the run, they'll start dustbathing very quickly.. and if you dig over a part of the run you'll be surprised at how quickly they learn to 'dig' for goodies...
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

Thanks for your warm welcome and advice, Willow. I'm starting to think that the privilege (spelling?) is all ours! We've got an inherited wooden coop - not as grand as many, but obviously OK since 1/12 won't come out this morning! Am letting them do their own thing to minimise stress. I've put newspaper lining and straw into the nesting boxes (we had two yesterday, which is not so bad for a stressful day), and newspaper lining plus c. 4" sawdust in the main coop (is this OK for them, please, anyone, or too dusty?), in which I also mixed some louse powder. The coop is in the middle of a grassy former lambing pen of c. 6m*10m, which we will divide at some point to keep a decent supply of grass and because it's already muddy, and they will be allowed to range completely freely for a few hours every day. They can shelter under their coop, which is also where we've put their food (mixed laying pellets and corn). They are eating an incredible amount, and drinking for Scotland, and when we put them in they went straight for the 'salad' (docks, sorrel, buttercup leaf) and have scratted the surface from a large area already, pigging out on insects etc. We may be imagining but think their combs are already brighter after less than 24 hours. Are just trying to establish how to feed and water them without them kicking everything over. Most of them are doing OK, but the less dominant ones are very skinny. There are bald patches on most and one that has a very red and bald bottom, with signs of scour on her feathers though' she seems well and not to have that problem. Any comments, especially negative ones, gratefully received as would like to prevent problems not wait until we have some.
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Hello Freeranger. All the best with your girls. It is amazing how quickly they settle in and start to enjoy their new life. We bought a container to use as a dust bath, but they turned their noses up at it, and made a wallow in the run.
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

Do you suppose they're really feathered cats, Spreckly?! We noticed that they don't like being 'put' either - they seem to have very firm views about being made to do anything, especially given how little choice they've always had so far. We live high in the hills, so get a lot of rain and think we may |have| to try and impose a container of sorts.
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

What your'e doing sounds great..
They will omprove surprizingly quickly so you're probably not imagining it :-D ..

For 12 chooks you're probably best investing in a large feeder with a rain hat.. or possibly a few smaller ones to make sure the hens at the bottom of the pecking order manage to get to the feed - the same goes for the water stations.. There are umpteen different water and feed containers available on the net, as its (hopefully) comming up to warmer weather, a large water dispenser(or several) would be advisable.
We have a galvenised bucket type drinker and a large 'upside down' bottle type one which refills a dish automatically once the water level drops.. the only downside to the galvenised bucket drinker is that you cant use apple cider vinegar in it.. otherwize its big and bomb proof also doesnt let sunlight get to the water which can cause a growth of algy.. algie?
The hens are really not fussy about their bedding, as long as the sawdust is dust extracted it should be ok, we use straw which we buy by the bale as this works out one hell of a lot cheaper than smaller amounts.
I'll never forget one time we were rehoming battery hens and had them in the holding pen waiting for the rehomers to collect them - the holding pen had a small coop attached which had fresh straw in it. Within hours most of the hens had been collected but doing a recount we were missing one. We looked into the coop and this little hen, fresh out of the cage had carefully made herself a nest and was sat in there laying.. they are amazing little ladies..
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

Freeranger wrote:Do you suppose they're really feathered cats, Spreckly?! We noticed that they don't like being 'put' either - they seem to have very firm views about being made to do anything, especially given how little choice they've always had so far. We live high in the hills, so get a lot of rain and think we may |have| to try and impose a container of sorts.

I have part of our run covered to make it weather proof.. it doesn't have to be pretty as long as it keeps the rain off, they soon realise that this area is dry and a good dust bathing area... also gives them some protection from the elements..

Albert Einstein
jackian
Legendary Laner

Post by jackian »

I have nothing to add except you seem to be doing great )t' ..And welcome to the forum..Pictures of your girls would be great when they are settled.
4 lovely girls~~ Clover, the oldie and top chick Bonnie second in command .new girls Bluebell and Blossom.
2 lovely new girls 19-01-2015~~ Chelsea and Ruby.
Eva , Florry , Poppy ,Annie and Rosie R.I.P
The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.” - unknown
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

Aforementioned soft-touch other half, David, is out taking photos as we speak! I had a look at the photos attached to your posts, Willow, and found them really helpful for ideas so thanks for that, and for everyone's encouragement. I guess it takes time on both sides to build confidence, and even longer to build 5 star chicken-accommodations! Sorry for all the questions, but what's the cider vinegar for?
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

Thought this may be quicker and more accurate...
http://poultrykeeper.com/common-article ... negar.html

Albert Einstein
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

Thank you!
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

No problem - looking forward to the photos!!

Albert Einstein
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

I've just re read your original post and noticed you said you're feeding a mix of corn and pellets?
This is not ideal as they are like little children and will pick out the 'nice' bits (mixed corn)before eating the important bits (pellets or mash)..
You can scatter a couple of hands full of mixed corn around the run in the afternoon / evening after they've filled up on the all important staple feed of pellets or mash (same stuff but in diferent forms) this contains all the nutrients they need for health and egg laying. (sorry I missed it before) x

Albert Einstein
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

Thanks for the advice, Willow - will adjust accordingly. Have just been out throwing some pellets for the The Girls to scrat for, and Dora the Explorer had again found an exit route. If this were Colditz, she'd be the head of the escape committee! No eggs today (day 2) which I suppose is understandable given yesterday's events. Am beginning to think we need considerably more shelter as they can all cram under the coop but could do with more space if it's going to stay wet here (wot effing drought?!!), and they are so quickly going to remove all of the grass and soggy mud won't be much fun. They look as though they are settling to go to sleep out of doors, but it's early yet. They did that yesterday too, but then wouldn't go to bed later. We're thinking this could be to do with their funny artificial light conditions in cages, or perhaps just cold or boredom.
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

Hi Freeranger

Nothing more to add to the excellent advice already given, just wanted to say "Hi and Welcome" :-D
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway