Run flooring

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
SusieWillow
Lively Laner

Run flooring

Post by SusieWillow »

Hey guys just a bit more advice needed :-D

The girls have to be in there run all during week as we're both at work, the flooring was originally grass but they obviously have put pay to that and it's now just earth. Well in the last few days what with all the rain more like mud +pinn+

Is there anything I can put down now to make it bit less messy but also for the girls to play in?
Something to give them a bit of fun whilst stuck in all the week {cry}
And my lovely girls Precious, Sunshine & Daisy

lizziedoggarden
Legendary Laner

Re: Run flooring

Post by lizziedoggarden »

Sharp sand is a good one,helps with draining
Don't dream it, BE it....

Am looking forward to welcoming Sunny Clucker to Woodbridge Suffolk!!!!!
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

I've heard sharp sand works well =)

Our run is roofed, and it's joined onto the chickens shed and there's a concrete shed running along another side so it doesn't get very wet in the run, and when we mow the lawn we give them the grass cuttings, giving the illusion that there is still grass growing in there )t' seems to soak up the bit of rain they do get.
You could buy some tarpaulin or something to cover most of the run when it rains to keep it partially dry and put some grass cuttings in?
Keeps them occupied for ages too, routing through all that grass :-D
Karhog
Longlasting Laner

Post by Karhog »

I think the grass cuttings sounds loke a great idea- I'm going to try it out! :-D
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

Not too much mind, you don't want to get crop problems.
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

I use wood shavings. I get a really big bag from my my hen feed supplier (Garden Feathers - Gateshead), they are cheap enough and do the job.
Michael
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

Ayeee, I agree with Steve, forgot to mention that,
And make sure it's not too long,
Part of our coop is concrete, so just under 30sqft is earth, we just put enough to make a thin layer covering the mud, just put a fair few handfuls in and they'll flatten it out themselves, makes it a lot easier for scooping poop too )t'
SusieWillow
Lively Laner

Post by SusieWillow »

Thanks for the replies had some sand so put that down and hopefully the girls will like it too )t'
And my lovely girls Precious, Sunshine & Daisy
janepick
Legendary Laner

Post by janepick »

Susie
If you just empty the sand in a big pile you can enjoy watching the girls spread it, it's like a beach party as they fling it everywhere )pty
Jane x
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

I put Aubiose horse bedding down in ours, the girls absolutely love scratching around in it - no need to rake it in, they do that for you! )t'

Then afterwards it can be used as compost :-D
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
madmum
Legendary Laner

Post by madmum »

I love my woodchip {hug&kiss} Even after a hideous weekend of wet weather it is not muddy )t' The duck run is slabbed and was a paddling pool,just the way they like it )t'
If you always do what you always do ,you will always get what you have always got!