a cat has 9 lives, how about a chicken??

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Georgina
Lively Laner

a cat has 9 lives, how about a chicken??

Post by Georgina »

well that is my good deed for the day!!

Had a beach walk with a friend and our dogs, then as the cafe there was closed we went to St Dogmaels for a coffee on the way home. As we pulled up there were a couple of ladies looking at the mill stream where there are ducks and chickens and saying "oh good you have wellies on" because a chicken was on a mudflat in the middle of it. The water level was a lot lower than normal so we went in to order our coffees then when we came out to drink them on the terrace I walked back over and saw the water level was rising. Sooooo - off down the cobbled bank to the stream, naturally managed to slide over and land on my arm and bum, waded out and found she was in a part with deep mud so had to navigate round it. Ended up throwing sticks and stones behind her to try to drive her away from the deeper water (and mud) until I was able to get through the mud enough without sinking to grab her. She was NOT impressed and was flapping around all over the place and I could not use both hands to hold her as I was sinking in the mud and had to use my other arm for balance. Managed to throw her up onto the bank where some of the other chickens were, went and had my drink. When we came out we looked and the water is almost back to normal depth so the mudflat she was on was well underwater, so I am glad I went to get her as pretty sure chickens cannot swim (and she would have ended up being washed downstream into the sea!)

Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Re: a cat has 9 lives, how about a chicken??

Post by Annie »

Well done that chicken heroine )app( , please tell me someone from the crowd of spectators you musthave drawn , at least paid for your coffee ?
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
aceface
Legendary Laner

Post by aceface »

well done georgina )app( )app( you are a chicken heroine
[center]HELPING THE LITTLE BROWN GIRLS OF THIS WORLD FIND FOREVER HOMES
Humble chicken maid to a happy little flock
Frankii Whippers leading the way with Dorey,Prila(aka Mrs Brown),Ann-a-Lou Greta, Delphine my adorable silkie,my twin girls Lana and Boudica (aka The Jedward Twins ) ,Augustine Eizabeth(aka Pippy), Rheima, Marnie and Fleur aka little miss chatterbox[/center]

Still loving and missing Skinnie Minnie and Queenie xx

Marlene you taught me how to live and laugh again xx

Isabella my darling top hen ,you stole my heart xx

Porscha my sweet little girl ,you left so suddenly xx
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

She's a lucky girl, well done Georgina )app(
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
grandmaeileen
Longlasting Laner

Post by grandmaeileen »

wow! well done, could have been dodgy for you as well
Mother of two, stepmum to two, all grown up and flown the nest. Grandma to Lucy, who's 12 and is my best friend. Two dogs, 6 Gingernut Rangers, and one lovely hubby!

R.I.P. Queenie, Missy,little hen and Edna
chicks&cats
Legendary Laner

Post by chicks&cats »

Bless you, chicken rescuer and heroine )t' )app(
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

well done, you )app( )app(

There's often a group of wellwishers in situations like this wondering what to do and consequently doing nothing. I bet people didn't know how to pick up chickens and whether they peck or not!
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

)c( )c(
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Freeranger wrote: I bet people didn't know how to pick up chickens and whether they peck or not!

You made me think then Free - it's second nature to me now )t' Have even managed the art of picking up and holding two little ladies at the same time! :-D
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
Georgina
Lively Laner

Post by Georgina »

the boys are going to miss flyball this afternoon as I would have trouble holding them (especially Jed at over 40kg) - my right arm is aching a bit and my left wrist is really hurting so must have jarred it a fair bit when I went over on the cobbles.

The worst thing is that my right wellie is now leaking!!! I thought it was down to water over the top during the rescue yesterday but today on the beach the tide was out yet my foot got wet in the little pools - just done a test at home and there is a minute hole in the sole of it!!! This is my NEW wellies bought when the other pair disintegrated!!! I hope the chicken appreciates that! Maybe puncture repair stuff for bikes might work as it is on the instep and not on the bit which flexes as you walk.
sarabee
Legendary Laner

Post by sarabee »

Great rescue )c( but sorry about the after effects {hug}
Sara

"Harm no living thing"

Brilliant hubbie, 2 great teenagers, Sasha the elderly dog and Fin, the evil but loveable cat! 3 chickens; Dottie, Gaia, and Buttercup
Night night Rhoda xx
julieann
Legendary Laner

Post by julieann »

Love a happy ending, well done!!!!
Julie x
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Thank goodness you were there! Well done and hope you get better soon {hug}
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
ChickenCarol
Longlasting Laner

Post by ChickenCarol »

I can only add the same, well done and hope you soon recover. I too would now think nothing of picking up any chicken but before owning them would probably have worried that they would peck. I am sure people not used to them would be hesitant at picking them up. Once you own chickens you soon get used to being quite intimate with them.

However going out into water and mud flats is pretty brave. Sorry to hear the wellies didn't stand up to the job. At least you know you saved the day for one little chook.